Front Page Forums Containerization Devcontainers, RubyMine, and Pair/Mob Programming

• Devcontainers, RubyMine, and Pair/Mob Programming

Posted by Todd Jacobs on 2021-11-06 at 19:15

As a preface, I’m a bit of an old-school Ruby hacker, so I really think of my tricked-out Vim and shell functions as my IDE. However, I’ve been following along as Avdi and others (including Docker Desktop, Visual Studio Code, and (at least to some extent) RubyMine have been adding support for devcontainers.

1. I’d be curious to know a few things from other members of the group:
    2. Are devcontainers really materially different than what we used to do back in the (ahem) stone ages with Vagrant and local mounts?
    3. What’s the support like with other IDEs like RubyMine? I’m interested in personal experiences here, since the documentation from JetBrains is currently a bit sketchy on the topic.

Aside from sharing a common environment, what’s the best way people are finding to implement pair/mob programming with devcontainers? RubyMine (the paid version) now ships with Code With Me, but a lot of the older pairing tools don’t seem to have been maintained, and I’m not sure how well they’d work with (or within) devcontainers anyway.

On a side note, I realize these are potentially broad questions, and may be better served by breaking them up into separate questions, but since it seems like this is the first post in the group (yay, me?) I’m not 100% sure what the community practice is about that. I know on Stack Exchange broad and multi-part questions are discouraged, so if there is group guidance I missed please point me to the right place. :)

Todd Jacobs replied 2 years, 4 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.