Rigorous Ruby is a course about testing your code. Focused on improving the design, style, and sturdiness of your automated developer tests, by the end you’ll:
- Have greater confidence structuring your unit tests
- Write tests that tell a clear story and make future maintainer’s jobs easier
- Avoid common sources of brittle or flaky tests
- Know when to use stubs, mock objects, and other test fakes… and more importantly, when not to
- Leverage the expressive power of the RSpec testing framework, while avoiding some of its gotchas
- Understand outside-in testing philosophy, starting with acceptance tests and dropping to lower-level tests as needed.
- Be aware of how tools like Mutant can make your tests even more comprehensive and sturdy.
This course is a Graceful.Dev Garden Path, meaning it is a suggested pathway through a curated selection of self-contained topics. Its status is mature: new topics may still be added, but it is a fully fleshed-out course of study.
Prerequisites: this path assumes a fluent knowledge of Ruby. Consider following some or all of the Ruby Fluency Garden Tour before embarking on it!